The components of an automobile are much more important as compared to the attention they receive. The mudguard, bonnet, and most importantly the windshield is indispensable for the security of the passengers. It is not only imperative to maintain the components and getting them replaced whenever necessary.
Various technological advancements led to the invention of tempered and laminated glasses that are extensively used as auto glass. Laminated glass is widely used as windshield glass that is2 curved sheets of glass with a layer of poly-vinyl butyral (PVB) in between. This special layer is often modified to act as an insulator and prevents the shards of broken glass from flying around and hurting the passengers. This revolutionary technology has made repair glass of car possible.
The exterior layer of the windscreen can easily be damaged due to:
- Dust & grime
The extent of the damage will largely depend on the speeds you usually drive. The damage may be in the form of scratches, a chip or a crack.Parking the car under trees can be hazardous and falling branches can damage the glass irreparably. Superlative temperatures make the glass expand and contract and therefore, cracks are formed.
- You must park your car indoors to protect it from other factors such as hailstorms and falling objects during these storms.
- It is advisable to follow the speed limit and choose the routes wisely; don’t drive frequently on under-construction roads.
- Keep considerable distance between your car and the one in front of yours.
- Do not bang the doors of the car as the consequent vibrations can crack the windshields.
Windshield chips are more of a hindrance than a problem and they are more common than you would think. Under no circumstances should you drive with a chipped windshield. The damage will most likely worsenthe damage diminishing the opportunity for windshield repair.
To repair crack in windshield, intricate knowledge and a steady hand is required and we believe that automotive enthusiasts can mend a chip with some effort. Here is what you need to know:
- Inspection – Having noticed a chip in the windshield, the first step is to examine it closely. The type of damage varies, and you must identify the type. Use a magnifying glass to determine its diameter and depth. You may note that the damage may constitute of a chip and a crack together. In such a case you might be better off consulting professional companies like Windshield Experts who do an extensive review and proffer solutions accordingly. Similarly, choose reputable a glass dealer for windshield replacement, if required.
- Buy Equipment -buying windshield repair kits is as easy buying groceries. However, you must be wary of substandard products that can further damage the windshield. You are advised to buy high-quality products from reputed service centers.
- Prepare the windshield – before you begin the process, make sure that the windscreen is clean and at room temperature. Dust and other particles can compromise the bond. On the other hand, just like other solids, windshields expand with heat and a repair job is no good when done in high temperatures. Ensure that the windshield is completely dry as moisture weakens the bond. The best idea is to park your car inside a garage and carry out the process in bright lights.
- Filling the Chip – the repair kit contains the adhesive, syringe and suction cups. In fact, you can avail different kinds of repair kits depending on the type of damage. They come with detailed instructions for your convenience. Follow the steps closely and if you’re unsure, it is better to take your car to professionals.
- Clean it up – The leftover glue and anything else that might have been left out on the surface of the glass must be cleaned with appropriate materials. Alcohol and paper towel are perfect to remove the left-over glue. However, make sure that you don’t touch the repaired area as it must be left alone for a few hours to dry completely. You can take it for car detailing services as well the next day to make your car look good as new.